Black Point Historic Preserve

Client

State of Wisconsin

Location

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Project size

13,600 SF

Completed

2007

The Black Point Estate was an historic mansion built on the shores of Lake Geneva by beer baron Conrad Seipp as a summer home in 1888. The home remained in the Seipp family until the early 1990s when it was donated to the State of Wisconsin. It was designed by Architect Adolph Cudell and has also been known as the “Conrad and Catherine Seipp Summer House” and as “Die Lorely.” The Queen Anne style design features a nautical themed, four-story “crow’s nest” that can be seen from the lake. It was listed in the National Register of Historic in 1994.

The project consisted of restoration and various improvements to the building and grounds to make them suitable as a public museum site. The primary emphasis was on the character-defining features of the original design. The completed preserve is considered one of the best surviving examples of the great summer houses in Wisconsin and contains one of the most intact collections of Victorian furniture in the Midwest. Most museum guests come by water, just as the original owners.

Awards

  • City of Milwaukee Cream of the Cream City Award, 2009
  • Wisconsin Trust for Historic Preservation Special Mention, 1999
  • Milwaukee County Historical Society Preservation Award, 1998
  • Institute of Classical Architecture & Art Arthur Ross Award-Stewardship/Good Manners, 1998
  • Wisconsin Historical Society Historic Preservation Certificate of Commendation, 1995
  • Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission Preservation Award, 1994
  • Historic Milwaukee Incorporated Preservation Award, 1993 & 1994